There is much excitement when the time comes to build the home of your dreams. However, without intentional planning, the process and result can turn into your worst nightmare. But you can minimize this risk by taking time to carefully plan things for your custom home design by working with your builder and thinking ahead. Here are some things you can do to ensure that your dream home becomes the reality you long for.
Designing the Home of Your Dreams
1. Work out as many details as possible before the first shovel of dirt is ever taken. From who will build the cabinets to paint colors and siding, there is no detail too small to plan in advance.
2. Don’t skimp on storage space. Take time to look over the blueprint carefully and look for space that can be converted into storage areas – especially hidden areas such as those underneath the staircase!
3. Buy the best quality home appliances your budget allows. They may cost more now, but it will save you money in the long run.
4. When buying tile for flooring or countertops, always buy an extra 15% so that you have plenty of pieces in case it is damaged during the build process or in the future when it might not be easily available.
5. Consider the HVAC system and your home needs carefully. Talk to a few local heating and air specialist to determine what type of set up will get you the biggest value for your investment. This is one of the decisions to make prior to the building!
6. Splurge only on the things that you truly feel you cannot live without, but don’t cut corners on structural components, doors or windows.
7. Pay attention to the bottom line. You don’t want to be surprised when all the numbers are tallied.
8. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box. Look for unique items such as decorative doors, windows, flooring and light fixtures at salvage stores, demolition sites, and yard sales. Many times you can have structural elements for free, if you are willing to haul the items away.
9. Don’t over-build for the neighborhood. Rather your much larger home adding value, you will actually loose value should you decide to sell later on.
10. Have the laundry room convenient to the bedrooms. This will save you time in the future.
Working closely with your custom home builder means a result that meets- if not exceeds- your dream home’s plans. Take the time to talk to local home builders and the people for whom they have built homes for to ensure that your home is everything you want it to be. Then, get ready to enjoy your custom home